Immunity is undoubtedly the first line of defence between your body and the outside world. Thus, supporting it through maintaining its strength is vital for good health. It is never too late to give your immune system a helping hand! There are many things you can do to keep the immune system in good shape. It’s important to:
- Keep active and be outdoors as often as possible
- Exercise moderately, avoid physical and mental exhaustion
- Eat a balanced diet, including plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Ensure sufficient rest (e.g. a full night’s sleep and relaxation time)
- Cut down or stop your use of stimulants (e.g. coffee, tea, cigarettes and alcohol)
- Use herbal support (e.g. Echinacea, Elderberry)
Did you know?
The Elder tree has been growing in Britain for millions of years surviving various ice ages and always was noticed to grow near to human habitation. There was an intuitive knowledge of its medicinal properties merged with centuries of observation and did not require a scientific proof.
In ancient Greece the Elder was used to treat a wide range of illnesses. Hippocrates, in 400 BC called it his “medicine chest”. The Elder tree was and is well known for its properties of strengthening the immune system and enhancing its performance and it is considered to be safe for anyone of any gender and age.
About the author
Natalia is a registered Medical Herbalist and owner of Living Herbal practice that provides herbal medicine healthcare in Leeds. To find out about her work, visit her website.