The main symptom of indigestion is discomfort or pain in the area of the upper abdomen, but it may also be accompanied by other symptoms such as heartburn, nausea, belching, or a feeling of being full or bloated. Indigestion is a surprisingly common problem and it can be caused by any one of a great many reasons such as bad diet, stress, smoking or drinking too much alcohol. Today’s hectic lifestyle can also be a contributing factor.
Indigestion is not pleasant and most good pharmacies will offer several choices of off the shelf treatments that should soon relieve the discomfort and return your stomach to normal health. For those who prefer to go the more natural route though, there are also several options available, and a natural remedy for indigestion is often every bit as good as a store-bought one.
1. Peppermint tea can provide an effective cure for indigestion. One of the active ingredients in peppermint is menthol and it can aid digestion by relaxing the stomach cramps that are often such a big part of indigestion.
2. Ginger can also successfully relieve the symptoms of indigestion and is particularly beneficial in cases that are accompanied by nausea. Just mix some honey and ginger juice into a tumbler of warm water and sip it regularly until the symptoms desist.
3. Aloe vera is renowned for its medicinal properties and contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents that can soothe an ailing digestive system in no time at all. Aloe vera is not only a natural remedy for indigestion, it can also offer relief to those who suffer from other stomach problems such as colitis, ulcers or irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Glutamine can also soothe the stomach. When you are suffering from indigestion the body has an increased need for glutamine. Taking a glutamine supplement can calm things down and it is also very effective at treating diarrhea.
5. Licorice is not something that you might expect to find in a list of natural remedies, but it often proves to be every bit as effective as antacid tablets and, as a bonus, it can help reduce gas in the stomach and heal the stomach lining.
6. Caraway Seeds offer yet another natural remedy for indigestion. Just steep 1tsp. of the seeds in a cup of boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Drinking the tea will soothe the digestive tract, promote gastric secretion and reduce gas and bloating within the stomach.
As with an off the shelf remedy, natural remedies are only recommended for occasional use. If symptoms persist over a period of time it may indicate that there is another problem and it is recommended that you should consult your doctor.
Article by Rupert Malone.